Saturday 13 July 2013

Moving on and time for change

Life is crazy at the moment, and things are moving at a pace that I never imagined.

It's only just under 2 months since we got married and totally unexpectedly we have found the house of our dreams, well to be precise, Mike's eldest son found it and sent it to us.  Thankfully, this one didn't have the helicopter pad, underground swimming pool and its own motor racing circuit ha.  This one overlooks the river, which is exactly what we have been dreaming about (I think Bunny gave us river envy) and  we have put in an offer on it which the vendor has been accepted. Yesterday I was cleaning my house ready for it to have photographs and measurements taken, and to go on the market on Monday morning.

We have already had our first viewing, from a young lady and her partner who I have known for many years as she dated my middle son and went to school with my daughter.  They viewed the cottage last night, and there were lots of "oh I really like it", "lots of potential" etc etc.  Its early day, and who knows but it was a good start.

I partially inherited this cottage when my father died.  I am one of 4 girls, and was already living here after my divorce.  My sisters all had their own properties, so were quite happy for me to buy out their share of the cottage.

There are lots of memories here for me.  Plants that went in as mementoes of my parents, a tree in the front garden that was grown from a fruit pip my mother brought back from a holiday abroad (you couldn't do that now), and still many little knick-knacks that are reminders of when my parents lived here.  As you can imagine, this is a big move for me, and I confess that as the estate agent was wandering around the cottage taking photographs, I felt my stomach twist up inside at the thought of leaving this all behind.  I am sure that all of you who sew, will understand the sheer panic I had when the estate agent wanted to come round in 2 hours, during the day when I am meant to be working from home, and my sewing room really really did look like a bomb had hit it, not to mention the carpet was full of sewing threat etc.  I pleaded with him to defer until at least 5pm so I had a chance to clean it up, which thankfully he did.....phew.

Now dont' get me wrong, I am so excited about the new house.  It is the larger home that will accomodate, a joint family of 6 children, 5 grandchildren (which I am sure will grow further) plus partners and of course we can't forget Bentley, Lauren's Great Dane.  We have visions of big family gatherings and the delight in seeing the children running around 4 acres of land.

I have already picked out my sewing room, and this one has lots of light, a door that goes out onto a veranda, and wonderful views over the river.....I am sure that I will think I have died and gone to heaven sewing in that environment.

The purchase is subject to a satisfactory survey of course, but if that all goes well, then we could be moving before the end of the summer.

This morning we are heading back up to see the house again, and measure up ----- oh my, the thought of sewing more curtains and blinds oh yuck.............  We are taking Alana with us so we can take her for lunch and buy her a belated birthday present.

So wish me luck.  I guess a lot of my free time will be spent packing, and I imagine that I need to make a start on that, but I found this fantastic picture that was taken to promote the sale of the house, and let me tell you, Mike and I are so excited about sharing a family home with them.

I hope you have a wonderful weekend planned.  Catch you later........................




22 comments:

  1. I can see great times ahead for you in your new home...enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How exciting! Congratulations on finding a new house, and best of luck with selling the current one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fingers crossed all goes well for you x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations on finding your dream house! It will be hard to part with your parent´s house but we all have to keep moving and taking decisions! There will be a lot of packing ahead, mind your back! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. that would have sold it to me as well congratulations

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am an "estate agent" (Realtor in the US) and lived for years as a single parent by buying old properties and restoring them. This of course is not specifically referring to your home, but does mean that I know a little about what it takes to sell a place. People who say "it has a lot of potential" are ominous to me, lol. My (unasked for) advice is to get out of the cottage a LOT of your personal items (pictures, mementos, and ALL of your fabric stash, sewing machines, and anything that makes it seem like YOUR home rather than potentially the buyer's home.) But of course I am sure anything you currently own is charming, so you should not have any problems.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good luck with your move. We moved out of the home we had been in for 28 years in March and it was a chore! And, a bit wrenching, especially for our daughter who, although out on her own for many years couldn't believe we sold the family home! But, we love our new digs and I'm sure you will too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wishing you the best and hope all goes smoothly!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wishing you the best and I hope your home sells soon. Don't envy you packing up everything but I know you will get it done.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am with Carole Mellin on her idea of de personalizing the house. 2 years ago in a horrid market DD got the book "Staging for Dummies" and followed all the directions. She sold her house within a couple weeks and did not lose any money. At the time houses were under water for most people. I sort of did the same when we sold our home, getting rid of furniture, packing up all the personal stuff, and making my closets look near empty but perfectly in order, etc. It is a LOT of work and that takes time so my sympathies are with you. I just want you to get in this new fabulous home as soon as you can.

    Now, congrats on the river property. You will love it and the water will hum you to sleep at night. The home sounds fabulous and your future sewing room, oh,my! I am so happy for you both. Good job, son!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just want to add in the US, "under water" means the mortgage amount is larger than what the home can be sold for, very scary.

      Delete
  11. How very exciting, Pauline...and scary, too! Good luck with all the work ahead of you...keep the picture of that dream-come-true house in your mind to motivate yourself!

    I can't wait to see your new sewing room!

    ReplyDelete
  12. congratulations and I'll be looking for good news soon on the sale of your old digs.

    ReplyDelete
  13. It will be so nice to have your place to build together. Completely understand how you feel about giving up the old house though. Good luck with everything.

    ReplyDelete
  14. How wonderful! Your life has changed quite a bit in the last year, new husband, new grand baby, new home....all good things:) I'm so happy for you.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Good luck and take Carol's advice. From my own selling experience it works.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Congratulations! Just remember that when you're packing and ready to pitch something that an amazing sewing room is waiting for you on the other side!!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Pauline, what an exciting and full season of your life tis is! I wish you all the best and look forward to reading of your continuing love-filled adventure!

    ReplyDelete
  18. So much change...your life is so full. Hope the move goes well, what lovely memories move with you.

    ReplyDelete
  19. How exciting! This time will go by faster than you think. Before you know it, you will have been in your new home five years! It sounds wonderful. Be sure to show us your new sewing room when you get it all set up.
    Hugs, Joy

    ReplyDelete
  20. Thank you for all your comments. I have taken your advice too and bought a copy of the book staging for dummies, and been de-personalising the house, touching up paintwork, planting up pots, and cleaning the front yard (first impressions etc).

    Sadly, sewing time will be very limited for quite a few weeks while I get my house packed up sob sob.

    ReplyDelete