Monday 17 June 2013

Bespoke Brompton Laptop bag

I have a wonderful Brompton folding bike just like the image you see below and I currently use one of their "C" type bags to carry all my stuff in when I am either commuting between the cottage and the flat in London, or to and from work.


One of the problems with the C bag is that while it is fantastic for carrying quite a bit of stuff, it is a little bulky and heavy and as such, combined with my bike, becomes rather heavy.

So with this in mind, I decided to use the luggage frame that clips on to a bracket on the front of the bike, from my existing bag, and make another bag that I can use just for carrying my laptop and papers to and from work and this is what I came up with. The new bag and existing bag is attached to the frame using a combination of velcro and an inner skin.



Outer fabric nice waxed cotton - true colour more like the bottom right picture.
Cotton batting between lining and outer fabric to protect my laptop
bright acid yellow poly-cotton for lining.

This is the 3rd version of the bag I have made.  The first out of Faux leather (not so neat and tidy), the 2nd from the waxed cotton to hold Mike's messenger bag that he loves and now this one.

Originally I was going to make a sort of "bag carrier" i.e something that would attach to the frame that would take a ready made laptop bag.  But in the end I came up with this.

By making it a little smaller it means I can fit just my laptop, glasses, mini ipad and a few work papers and I am unlikely to stack it out with  too many other things I am unlikely to use.

This may not be the latest fashion item, and its not sexy, but I am thrilled the way this has turned out, and I certainly havent' seen anything else on the market like it but more important, it suits my needs perfectly and I sewed it out of my stash.

We got our official wedding photos through from the photographer this weekend - they are fabulous so I can see us printing off lots of them for the photo frames that were bought for us.

I hope you all had a good weekend.  Catch you later....................




7 comments:

  1. A bag that fits your needs is a girl's best friend!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How clever! Good for you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is the bag I want to make for my Brompton! Thanks for posting this

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello! Love this! Did you need to line the 'pocket' (inner skin?) that the frame slips into in order to reinforce it?

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Comprar accesorios de viaje, mochilas viajes y accesorios, maletas equipaje,bicicleta lentes deportivos,bolso tipo bandolera, mochila laptop en Mexico.

    ReplyDelete