Friday 31 May 2013

Sorting the fabric stash

Just recently we had a massive clean up of the garage and other storage areas to make room for my middle son's possessions, who is back from Uni for the summer vacation.

My two boys and I were clearing spaces that were storing items that haven't been used, or seen the light of day, for many months  years (embarrassed blush), to make way for their accumulated stuff, sigh.........  Anyhow, I'll continue.  My eldest son purchased some heavy duty shelving for his work tools (which he too is storing in my garage - even bigger sigh) and I thought now they look handy.

Following the lead of some of my fellow bloggers who have talked about storage for their fabric stash, I too purchased some large, clear, plastic containers to store my fabric in, however what I didn't realise at the time was while their storage capacity is brilliant, retrieving that piece of fabric right at the bottom of the container is an absolute nightmare and requires you to empty all the fabric sitting on the top to get to it, and trust me that can be time consuming and frustrating because you have to fold it all up again.

With this in mind, I have been thinking about transferring my fabrics onto shelving for some time, so today I purchased a set of  heavy-duty plastic shelves to prop up against the chimney wall in my sewing room, and  I have already started transferring some of my stash on to them.  Of course I have more stash than available shelf space, but its a start.

What I do like about the shelving option is the ability to scan your fabrics easily.  One of the bonus points of this exercise today was discovering fabrics that I had completely forgotten about and it did trigger a small, albeit a very very small thought in my head which said, "you really shouldn't buy any more fabric and just sew from your stash"............I'll keep that thought in my head until I see some fabric that I just can't say no to.  I think it best that I just stay away from the markets then ha ha.

Now to focus my thoughts on what am I going to make this weekend.  Having made my first shirt at the flat in London this week, I think I'll definitely cut out another shirt for Mike to work on next week.

Enjoy your evening.  Catch you later.....................




10 comments:

  1. Just remember to add some kind of covering to the shelving to protect your fabric from dust and sunlight. I used shower curtains and shower curtain hooks and it worked great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually Carolyn I am sure it was your fault I bought the plastic containers because when I saw your's on your blog I thought it a great idea, and I think subsequently you went over to shelves....... is there a theme running here ha ha. Thanks for the tip - I did think about the sunlight but I have some very cheap curtain fabric that I bought to use as muslin, so think I'll run up a protective cover with it. Might be tomorrow's job.

      Delete
  2. What Carolyn said. I use the Rubbermaid tubs and label the outside with "spring/summer wovens", "fall/Winter wovens" etc. It works pretty well for me, but I also have a very good visual memory (dates and names...not so good). I'd love to do the shelving someday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I only have one set of shelves, so my tubs will not be discarded, they will probably mop up those other fabrics that didn't have a proper home.

      Delete
  3. I managed to get ALL of my fabric (and some craft stuff) onto a triple shelving unit arrnagement in my sewing room and then added a rail and curtain to stop fading. It is great and works very well for me. Hope the stash sorting gives you some new ideas. Love Ruthie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The shelves are good, and definitely need a curtain - might be tomorrow's task.

      Delete
  4. Put the current season fabrics on the open shelves, as much as will fit comfortably, and use the plastic containers for off-season fabrics. Then swap them when your sewing season plans change.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. what I have done is put all my heavier fabrics on the shelves and that seems to work.

      Delete
  5. I put up an Ikea shelf unit in my sewing room last year...thought it would hold all my stash. Hah! Now I use it for my seasonal stash and keep the out of season fabric in the plastic bins. It's fun to find the "new" old fabric at the end of the season...

    ReplyDelete