Sunday 27 January 2013

Burda 126/7 dress and Vogue 7937 skirt.

I managed to catch up on my sewing this weekend, however if I took a leaf out of the Selfish Seamstress book, I wouldn't have repaired my D Mike's jeans, 3 sofa cushions that had split, and a large cushion too that was damaged by over enthusiastic, very large boys jumping on the sofa, and I probably would have got a lot more done.

Ho hum, having completed my repairs, I first finished my Vogue 7937 skirt which I cut out 2 weeks ago made from the same fabric that I made my grey trousers for my birthday suit.

Vogue 7937 is a Misses Semi-fitting, straight skirt, below mid-knee and has front princess seams and side zipper.  A and B: back vents, B: tab with button trim.  C: back pleats.  D: gored back and shaped hem.  I selected view D, gored back and shaped hem.



This is a really easy pattern to sew and I like the different effect of the gored hem, but I warn you there is quite a bit of hem to sew.

I used the same pattern pieces to make a lining too.  I don't like unlined skirts.

I highly recommend this pattern, its easy, and quick to sew.

Yesterday I posted that I had traced off BurdaStyle 02/2013-127 top, however I made a bit of a mistake.

I traced off the pattern pieces, added my 5/8" seam allowance using my clover tool (no I am not on any commission from this - I was just delighted how much easier it made the job), Decided that it was probably going to be ok size wise, and proceeded to lay out the 3 pattern pieces on my scant piece of blue cotton jersey fabric.  While cutting out the pieces I thought to myself " this is really rather long for a top", and then the penny dropped. The same pattern pieces are used for another 2 patterns in this magazine, one of which is a dress lol (I did the same with the sleeveless blouse I made) duhhhhhh.

I decided to continue with the full length version and see how it looked, and if I really hated it, I could chop off the skirt and use the fabric for something else.


This is a simple 3 piece pattern with gathered raglan sleeves.  Let me warn you - I ran out of fabric, because I cut out a dress instead of a top hmmmmm I know I am stupid, and had to shorten the sleeve length by about 4" however, they are still full-length on me (they are pushed up my arm too).  In the pattern, the sleeves are deliberately long, hence why they have used a lovely silk jersey in their photo so there isn't too much bulk when pushing them up the arm.

I have to say I love love the black version, and will find some appropriate fabric and try to recreate this whole look with the pearls soon - I even have exactly the same ribbon to make a belt they way they have.  In the meantime, my baby blue version, will be worn under a skirt (needn't have bothered with the lining) until I have lost some more weight.  Check out my DGD's pose - I said to her, do the pose and she copied me ha ha - she is so adorable (even if I do say so myself).

I will decide if I am going to wear this new ensemble next weekend when my D Mike and I go away with his parents for the weekend.

I highly recommend this Burda pattern - it is quick - just spend a little time on the gathers and you will be delighted with the results.  I did my own thing on the neck binding just using my overlocker and coverstitch machine.

Will I make it again - oh heck yes, and definitely in a nice black but as a top.  The gathers on the sleeves make this just a little different.  The dress version actually has a frill running down the front, which might be worth trying too.

I am really starting to love my BurdaStyle patterns- and as you saw from my last post, there are lots in this February issue that I want to make.

I hope you have had a good sewing weekend.  Catch you later.........






41 comments:


  1. The clothes are great. I have that skirt pattern and I am glad that you reported it to be easy to sew.
    However, I love your little granddaughter. Such a sweetie. I have 3 now and love them to death. Never had daughters so it is all new to me!

    Good luck with everything,
    Terry

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Terry - I love my little DGD she is just so sweet - whenever I go upstairs to my sewing room she wants to come and help. She passed me the pins while I pinned the hem on my blue dress. - Enjoy your granddaughters.

      Delete
  2. I think the white looks wonderful on you. You don't need to lose any more to wear it. You are one of the few who can really wear white and have it look fabulous. Can't wait to see the black with pearls, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Carole, the colour is actually a baby blue, but looks white int he photos. I am really conscious of my belly, so wouldn't wear it at the moment so will continue to wear it under skirts until I feel more comfortable. The black looks fab in the picture, so that is on my list to make very soon.

      Delete
  3. You are looking great! and I think you have a "mini-me" in Alana...so cute!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Margy - Alana was just so funny pointing her toes

      Delete
  4. I love your top and skirt, both fit beautifully. I'm sure Alana will be posing more in the future, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Mrs K - I think she will be doing more posing too.

      Delete
  5. I totally agree with Mrs K. I was looking at this for myself but I don't have the advantage of a shape like you have(lol).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Caje, initially I was going to make the top not the dress, and I am sure you could wear the top.

      Delete
  6. Agree with the others that this looks very good on you. The weight loss really shows.
    Love both the skirt and the dress.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sigrid very kind of you - more Burda patterns in the "to-do" list.

      Delete
  7. Both the skirt and dress look fab on you. Do what Tim Gunn says and wear Spanx. You can see your weight loss. Great work on loosing and sewing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ann - I was watching an interesting TV show talking about the exact same thing so may be on the shopping list.

      Delete
  8. WOW!!! You look amazing in both photos, with the top styled with and without a skirt!!! Whatever you are doing, just keep on doing it because it is working...J

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Judith - I have lost nearly 14lbs and still have another 14 to go, but I am getting there (slowly).

      Delete
  9. Great sewing, Slimming World rocks - it makes clothes fit better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks to you Clare - you look fantastic yourself.

      Delete
  10. Lovely pieces and cute grand-daughter. You look great in both outfits Pauline. I love that top/dress pattern.

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a great top/dress and skirt! Nice idea to lengthen the top. I am going to have to download this since my subscription does not start yet. My daughter loves everything in the February edition.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Claire actually Burda created the extra length not me, I just forgot to shorten it when I cut out the pieces - I agree the Feb issue has some wonderful items in it

      Delete
  12. That's a cute skirt-like those gores.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love your black skirt, particularly the way it is so flattering to your legs. Very nice.

    Alana is darling and strikes quite the pose!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love the blouse turned dress .It really looks pretty on you.. And so well made..
    I can tell you are loosing weight..Looking good.. COngradulations..I know it is
    really hard..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much - it is hard, but even I can start seeing the results now which is nice

      Delete
  15. Those are some very classy new items :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Two new gens on your wardrobe.... Beautiful

    ReplyDelete
  17. I am loving this Burda pattern. I love the white top with the Vogue skirt; a great combo!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Inam in love with your skirt...patterns like this make me (almost) wish I were working. And your dress is LOVELY! I am with you on BurdaStyle. Great looks.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I think the top/dress looks fab. I just Burda this week - you've made to go back and re-evaluate some patterns. Thanks Pauline.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks Ruth, the more I make the more I am loving them - I sat down this week adding all the patterns I like to my Bento so I can quickly find what I am looking for - I try and do this with each issue now.

      Delete
  20. Love the white blouse/dress, and congratulations on the weight loss. I've lost 10 pounds, and I am loving the difference in just that small loss. What diet are you using?

    I don't usually buy Burda patterns because of the missing seam allowance, but that one is SO CUTE. I may have to try it.
    Hugs, Joy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Joy,

      thanks for the compliment - check out my other post on the double tracing wheel - that made drafting the pattern with the seam allowance so much easier.

      I am doing the Slimming World diet - I am very pleased with it and eating loads. Certainly worth looking it up Good luck on your diet.

      Delete