Tuesday 16 October 2012

Jalie Jeans 2908

Ok this is just a quick post but I wanted to share my FIRST EVER jeans which I have reviewed on PR here.



I used Jalie stretch jean pattern 2908 and cut out my muslin for fitting help at our sewing weekend.  We had to move the inside leg seam and make the counter adjustment on the outside leg seam and take a huge amount of fabric from underneath the bottom too. - Thanks to Sigrid and Viv who helped me with these.



The size I cut out was as close to my current jeans but there was a fair amount of fabric removed from the muslin before cutting out the fashion fabric.  I had previously subscribed to the Kenneth D King Jean-ius tutorial on Craftsy and dipped in and out of it for visual tips.  Look out for the special offers on these classes, if you can get them at the lower price they are well worth it.

Originally I started topstitching in black, but I really wanted to use my embroidery machine for the back pockets and found this cute design and picked a gold coloured thread for them.  I hadn't done too much topstitching, so I just went over it in the gold.  I used two threads in the one needle for the topstitching so no need to purchase special thicker topstitching thread.

On the whole I am delighted with the jeans.  I added jean rivets, and a jean's button using my Prym pliers (worth their weight in gold if you like adding snaps, rivets etc) and copied my regular RTW jeans for the topstitching, selecting just the inside leg for the fake flat felled seam, and then just the top part of the outer leg.

These were the boot cut, normal rise (rather than the low rise).  I felt the boot cut was more of a 1970's flair so reduced them to match my RTW width (much better) and even now I feel I could have reduced them by another 1-2".

If I was to make these again, which I definitely will, I will make them a little smaller.  I was being a little cautious just in case there wasn't enough give in the fabric, but there was enough ease in this fabric to have sewn a larger seam - next time.

These will now go in my bag for our two day outing to the South Coast tomorrow.

If you haven't tried jeans, but have sewn trousers/pants before, then you should be able to do these no problem.  I liked the results from using the Prym jeans rivets and jeans button.  For the button hole, I used the keyhole shaped button hole, like my RTW ones.

I think one or two tiny adjustments and I will have my jeans TNT pattern.

Catch you all later............



21 comments:

  1. Congrats - super jeans! Can I have some of your energy and productivity please!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ha ha thanks, but don't forget I had the day off yesterday.

      Delete
  2. Well worth to wait till you could do the embroidery at home. Great result! Do you never sleep?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes but I confess it was late last night. Glad I waited because I love the embroidered pockets.

      Delete
  3. This is my fav stretch jeans. The fun is in the pocket detailing and yours are so good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you - I loved using my embroidery machine for these - your's, Sigrid, Art Attack, Nan Kay and a few others were the reviews that inspired me to use this Pattern.

      Delete
  4. They look great, Pauline! Love the "upturned" embroidery!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hats off to you for making a great looking pair of jeans! Did you find sewing jeans required an excessive time commitment? I'm still on the fence but truly admire you and others who have made jeans and made them well! Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  6. They look fantastic! The topstiching and embroidery looks great in the gold thread.
    I love my prym pliers too, makes setting buttons and rivets so much easier!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Fabulous pair of jeans. Love, love them

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for all your lovely comments. I do think jeans are worth the effort, it's just the top stitching that takes the extra time but combined with embroidered pockets it's allows you to get creative.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I can't believe how quickly you sew! Your jeans are fabulous, well done.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Well done, your new jeans look absolutely terrific! making jeans is addictive, once you start you'll never ever go rtw again :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your jeans look great! I just bought fabric yesterday to try out the pattern. Thanks for the inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow, you sewed these up quickly. I love them, and think the gold embroidery is fantastic. I can find a good fit with Levis so I have not made my own. I sure am in awe of those of you who do make your own jeans-the fit and details are awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  14. These look fantastic! Can I get some of your sewing speed, please? I haven´t touched my machine in weeks!

    ReplyDelete
  15. You really did a nice job on these jeans, Pauline. Switching to the gold for topstitching and embroidery was a brilliant move. Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh wow, these look fantastic! You really did a beautiful job on them.

    ReplyDelete