Tuesday 2 August 2011

Burda Style July 2011 122B- Easy going.

Today I made my first dress/top from my Burda magazine.  I have seen lots of reviews on PR and buy the magazine each month but never made anything myself.


I decided to go for something that didn't require me finding hundreds of pattern pieces so selected Burda 122B (page 20)





Pattern Description:
Practical dress with waist casing.  Forward shoulder seams and an enticing front neck slit and an enticing front neck slit.

Pattern Sizing:
8-14 (36-44)

Fabric I Used:
some seersucker with a silver thread running through it. £1 per metre from Dalston Market

Total cost: £2.50

Time to Make: Including drafting the pattern and the addition of lining approx 4 hours.

What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern?
I like the fact this pattern only had 3 pieces to it.  The magazine gives you the measurements for neck, arms, elastic and front facing strips, however I only used the front facing strip because I decided to line the dress due to the scratchy feeling from the silver thread running through the fabric.

One minor point would be the slit down the front goes below my bra line so I can't wear this without a cami-top underneath - I may add a couple of self covered buttons and rouleau loops so I can wear it without a cami-top

Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it?
Yes except mine isn't black.

Were the instructions easy to follow?
yes and know - I have read the Burda magazine reviews before and people have said they only give minimal instructions - and this was the case here, however I think because there are so few pieces a beginner should cope with this.

Pattern Alterations or any design changes you made:
As previously mentioned I self lined this so didn't use the facing strips.  I also didn't use the elastic casing but just zig-zagged the elastic around the waistline which works fine.

Conclusion

without the lining this is a quick dress to make - its a little short for me to wear on its own (I cut it shorter because I planned wearing this like a tunic rather than a dress), so am wearing it with below the knee shorts and it makes for a nice cool top for the summer.

Would I make it again?
Probably not because there are too many other patterns I need to make up.

2 comments:

  1. :) Good job. I have made a few things from Burda and they have always come out good.

    ReplyDelete