Monday 25 July 2011

KwickSew Panties 3881

I saw these on PR and thought I have to have a go - ordered the pattern from Jaycotts in the UK and the pattern arrived on Saturday morning.

Pattern Description:  FABRICS:

Designed for stretch knits only with 25% stretch across the grain.
Suggested Fabrics: Single knit, interlock, jersey, knits with Lycra®, nylon tricot.
Pattern includes 1/4" (6 mm) seam allowances.

Panties in four styles have waist and leg openings finished with elastic. View A briefs and View B bikini have classic leg openings. View C hipster has low cut waist and boy-cut leg openings. View D thong style panty.

Pattern Sizing: XS-S-M-L-XL

Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it?  Hmmm sort of I guess - my first pair were just black with red lingerie lace on them, but as I got more confident, I then realised that I could insert the lace front which makes them more Agent Provocateur rather than something your granny would wear.

Were the instructions easy to follow? Yes very easy - my last pair took less than 30 minutes to make.

What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern? I have actually cut out several pairs of these now - The first pair were what you may call passion killers but very comfortable, I had cut out the large size first of all but then had to reduce them because they were quite big and the ones in the photo here are what I call the perfect end result.  
Fabric Used: a mixture of some cotton knit I had in my stash and I actually cut up an unused corporate t shirt to make the crotch lining (I was never going to wear the t shirt).

Notions: a mixture of serger thread, woolly thread and 1/4" elastic for the one's shown here and lingerie elastic for the others.

Pattern alterations or any design changes you made: These were produced using a cross between version A and B - B I felt were too low, and A too high, so I just raised the line of view B and got the end.  In the instructions they used elastic in the legs too, I prefer the legs without elastic so used the wave function on my babylock and a mix of white thread with a lilac woolly thread for the lower looper ---- I never thought I would use this function much but am using it more and more now.

Would you sew it again? Yes I would sew it again Would you recommend it to others? Yes they are so easy and when you see the prices of shop bought panties it makes me wonder why I never did this years ago.

Conclusion:  I saw this pattern made up on Pattern Review so added to my wish list and then ordered it from Jaycotts.  I like the fact you can select the different styles from the same pattern.  KwickSew use a heavy weight paper for their pattern, so rather than cut the pattern direct for their paper, I traced the pattern onto some tissue paper so I could make different sizes if required for either myself (when I lose weight) or my daughter.

4 comments:

  1. Fabulous Pauline. I have been wanting to make underwear for sometime now. I may just get the pattern and give it a try. I also want to make bras to match.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jane

    I too want to make a bra - keep looking at the kits and courses - be totally self sufficient with out sewing ha ha

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for posting this pattern. I have been trying to find this type of pattern for a while now. Thank You so much. I will go and purchase one. ~Ms. Rose from Texas.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Rose

    I am glad it was what you were looking for - good luck - I am now a convert to home made knickers/panties :-)

    ReplyDelete